- Insider Hair Tips for your Outfit
- Fix Hair Color Dye Disaster
- How to do a hair dye allergy test
- How to dye hair at home
Hair chemical treatments such as hair dyes or hair straightening kits make us women look more beautiful. If there would not be the smelly hair afterward from all these harsh chemicals, right? Of course, other reasons such as cigarette smoke or kitchen scents can also add a bad smell to our precious hair.
A lot of times, washing the hair with shampoo will not have any effect at all. So what to do? I will tell you some of the best and reliable tips to get rid of the smelly hair in an instance.
Where does the penetrating smell come from?
Mainly the penetrating smell comes from the chemical called ammonia. As Ammonia opens up the cuticle of the hair to let the color of the dye inside. Without, it is very difficult for the hair structure to hold any hair color for long term. During the hair dying procedure, ammonia evaporates causing the aggressive and nasty smell of the hair.
My hair smells even after washing, what to do?
1. Use a hair mask right after treatment
All too often, the hair dye instructions will tell you to use a regular conditioner after the treatment is done. This will not do that much as a conditioner is pH neutral and cannot do anything to stop the smell problem. Instead, buy a good hair treatment mask from a well-known brand and leave the mask on for around 5-10 minutes. Many of the hair masks do have a lot of natural properties to help to get rid of the smell at least a little bit in the beginning.
2. Make your own Essential Oil Hair Mask
Your favorite scent such as lavender or lemon can overpower the smelly hair very quick. A simple way to do it:
- Mix 5-7 drops of essential oil (your favorite scent)
- Add two table spoons of olive oil
- Mix both components very well
- Apply to the hair and leave in for 10 -15 minutes
- Rinse off with clear water
3. Apply Virgin Coconut Oil (wait 72 hours)
ALSO YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN: Matching a hairstyle with your outfit
After washing the hair, apply some of the coconut oil on a comb and start combing the hair a couple of times. Make sure that the oil is evenly distributed to all parts. Virgin coconut oil has a whole range of useful vitamins as its ingredients.
It will be giving the hair not only a nice coconut smell but also helps to moisturize the dry hair. As you know, all chemical hair treatments will dry out your hair to the bones.
4. Make a Tomato or Cucumber Hair Mask
Both, the tomato and the cucumber do have a lot of vitamins and minerals to support your hair. Applying a tomato or cucumber juice mix to the hair can get a little bit messy. Therefore, I would suggest the following steps:
- Use a juice mixer and mix one to two cucumber or tomatoes
- Add the juice into a glass and now it is time to take a shower
- After washing the hair, apply the juice evenly so that it covers everything
- Use the fingertips to massage the juice also deeper into the underlying scalp hair areas
- Let it penetrate for around 20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
- You can repeat this every 3 to 4 days until the smelly hair is a thing from yesterday.
5. Make your own Hair Perfume
Wouldn’t you love having a refreshing hair smell every day? As a matter of fact, a conditioner becomes very handy to add a nice scent to your hair. Indeed, it is very easy to make your own hair perfume:
- Fill up 250ml of distilled water into a spray bottle
- Add one teaspoon of conditioner to it
- Add another teaspoon of your favorite perfume (3-5 drops of essential oil scent is also OK)
- Mix very well with a chopstick or long wooden spoon
- Daily, spray the mixture onto your hair to nourish and add a fresh scent. As a result, this will give your hair a freshly washed smell. Don’t we all love the “New Car Scent”; this is the same just with your hair.
6. Add Baby Powder to your Hair
Baby Powder is without a doubt an untold secret to get rid of smelly hair very quickly. As the powder not only smells refreshing, it also absorbs excessive fat from scalp and hair in a matter of seconds.
- Simply add some powder over the hair, although not too much as it could cover your hair in white or pink.
- Massage the powder into the hair and scalp
- There is no need to rinse the powder off
CAUTION TIP: Do not add the powder right after any hair treatment or taking a shower. As the powder tends to dry out the scalp and hair as it could irritate both.
7. Use Baking Powder against the hair smell
We are all aware that baking powder is a good smell neutralizer for our fridges. Why shouldn’t it also work well on your hair, right? Indeed, it works wonders and it is very easy to do:
- Mix one part of water with three parts of baking soda.
- Leave the mixture on your hair for around 3o minutes
- Rinse off the hair
8. Soak the hair with Olive Oil
Sure, olive oil will also do its job to eliminate the nasty smell after a chemical hair treatment:
- Use virgin olive oil and rub by hand the oil into the hair
- Leave the olive oil for around 20 – 30 minutes
- Rinse off with clear water
9. Use freshly pressed lemon/lime juice
ALSO INTERESTING FOR YOU: Fix hair color dye disaster with ease
As lemon juice contains acid, I strongly discourage to use this method on highly stressed hair. Let the hair relax a little bit before using this lemon/juice procedure:
- Freshly squeeze 3-5 lemons/limes
- Add the juice onto the hair and make sure it is fully covered
- Rinse after 20 minutes
OTHER HAIR SMELLS BAD SYMPTOMS
Burning Hair Smell
The best way to get rid of the burning smell is to use an alkaline soap or laundry detergent. The higher the alkaline levels are, the better and quicker the smell goes away. Please note that adding such harsh products is not the best for your hair, but a one-time treatment should cause no harm. Another option would be to use a curb soap which also has a very high alkalinity level of over 7 pH.
Please test this method out on a small hair strain before applying it to the whole head.
Remove the Smell of Sweat
To remove the smell of sweat from the hair, a regular hair shampoo will take care of it. Especially after having a long and powerful exercise, the hair can absorb skin sweat from the neck and the face. As I have mentioned earlier, any regular hair shampoo will neutralize and clean the sweat away during a shower.