How many times have you wondered if there is a way you could make Windows 10 faster?
Countless times it happened that you push the power button to turn your computer on, and you are waiting for five or more minutes until you are able to gain full control of Windows.
Surely, it is an annoying issue but do not worry as we have some tips for you here to make Windows 10 faster.
Tip 1 – Visual Effects
This is an all-time classic tip that works since Windows XP. Nowadays, this shouldn’t be an issue, but if you own a budget computer then give it a try.
Firstly, a short explanation of what this does. Basically, by disabling Windows visual effects, you will get a very simple Windows theme that will consume fewer resources.
Let’s take a look at how to do it below:
- Right-click on the Windows Start button on the bottom left of your screen.
- Then, click on System.
- Now, on the right side of the new window, you will see a choice called System Information, go ahead and click on it.
- One more window will pop up, and there you will need to click on Advanced System Settings.
- You should now see a tab that says Performance, just click on the Settings button to go to the final window.
- Here, you have a few choices, but for our purpose, just select the Adjust for best performance option and click Apply.
In a few seconds, you will see a completely different theme, and you will notice that your Windows 10 runs faster.
Tip 2 to make your Windows 10 faster
So, as you might have noticed, once you turn on your computer there are a few programs and services that run automatically on startup. This can be an issue if the number of programs is more than your computer can handle, therefore, below you will find all the details you need in order to disable them.
- Type taskmgr in the search bar and click open once the Task Manager option appears.
- Select the Startup tab, and start disabling the autorun option of programs that you know and you do not need them on startup.
- Try to not disable any programs and services that you do not recognize. This might cause your computer to not turn on properly.
Tip 3 – Automatic updates
Undoubtedly, this is one of the main reasons for a slow startup. Windows 10 is looking for and downloading updates very often. The problem with that is that the operating system also installs them whenever it wishes, so we end up with a slow machine.
With the following procedure, you will be able to schedule when this should happen. Consequently, you will notice a difference next time you will turn your computer on.
- Firstly, right-click on Windows start button.
- Now, select Settings.
- In the new window, select Update&Security.
- Lastly, click on Change Active Hours and choose a time that you wish for the updates to get installed.
Tip 4 – Indexing
This is the second biggest issue for mechanical hard drives (HDD). Indexing is a Windows service which is very convenient. What this does, in simple words, is that it indexes your hard drives so anytime you wish to search for a folder or a file, you will be presented with results almost instantly.
Now, why is this bad? Because in order for this to happen, your hard drive’s reading function is 100% on and this makes Windows slow.
Having said that, below we have the steps on how to disable indexing.
- On the search bar type the word Index.
- You will receive Windows Search Settings as a result. Now, click open.
- By scrolling down a bit in the new window, you will notice an option called Advanced Search Indexer Settings.
- Lastly, click there and the Modify button in the new tab, and you can customize the folders that will be used for indexing. Don’t forget to click Apply.
Last tip to make your Windows 10 faster
This is by far the best solution, but it is not free. Due to their nature, SSD drives are way faster than HDDs. The reason behind that is the nand flash technology of the SSDs that gives us speeds up to 550mb/s (for SATA connection), compared to 15-30mb/s of HDDs.
Since technology progresses fast, the prices of SSDs are dropping, and you will be able to buy a good one, like Samsung Evo 860, at an affordable price.
Even if your Windows 10 system is a bit slow, there are ways to overcome this issue. On one hand, you can try the tips we listed above and see which works better for you, on the other hand, the most solid option is the purchase of an SSD that will make your Windows 10 run faster for sure.