DIY Dying Hair Instructions
September 12, 2020
DIY Dying Hair Instructions
September 12, 2020
Tips for Dying your Hair at Home IN ENGLISH
You can use these hair dye instructions for the following brands: DCASH, BERINA, LOLANE, DISPO, CARING, STARLIST and all other famous brands:
Information before Starting to Dye the Hair
One box of hair color dye is only good for shoulder long hair. For longer and thicker hair there are always two boxes required to cover fully the hair.
The hair color model on the photo is just an idea of the final result, therefor you might not get the result for the following reasons:
- Hair which is porous does not absorb the hair color dye very quickly, and there is a high chance that it can be washed out
- Light hair as a basis will get a pretty good end result, BUT darker hair needs a bleaching one week prior of the hair color dye application.
- The final result is always a mix of the starting hair color with the hair color dye applied
- The hair dye is manufactured as permanent, however due to individual hair conditions, the hair dye can wash out right away or last only for a few weeks
- FASHION DYES (Blue, Red, Pink, Purple etc): IF YOU HAVE DARKER HAIR (dark blonde and up) PRE-BLEACHING (1 Week prior) is a MUST – THE BLEACHED HAIR MUST BE NEUTRAL WHITE TO AVOID COLOR MIXING. AVOID ANY YELLOW OR ORANGE SHADES which can cause the hair turn into a different color (example: yellow based bleached hair with pink dye = purple or orange, yellow based bleached hair with red = copper or similar
- ALWAYS PERFORM A STRAND TEST to check if the end result is suitable for you
- Do not use the dye on damaged hair
How to Do a Strand Test Before Dyeing Your Hair
A strand test is always highly recommended to determine the desired color result and processing time. It also can be done at the same time with an hair due allergy test. It’ll take only a few minutes to get it done with. These are the steps to follow:
- Cut a quarter of an inch (1/4) from the root area of your hair and then wrap one end with a tape.
- Get a plastic bowl and drop a few drops of the colorant in addition to a few more drops of the developer.
- Be sure to place the strand in the mixture and leave for the recommended time written on the instruction box of the product. Note that every manufacturer has its own time written clearly.
- It is time to preview your hair. Rinse it and preview the hair-color result.
During this test, if you experience any adverse skin reaction like itching, rash or burn, please STOP and perform an allergy test.
IMPORTANT ALWAYS DO A HAIR ALLERGY TEST:
The above photo clearly illustrates how important it is to do a hair dye allergy test 48 hours prior to using a new hair color dye. Please click the below link for detailed instructions on how to perform such a test. Stay Safe, always!
Let’s take a look further: HOW TO DO AN HAIR ALLERGY TEST
- The Product contains Hydrogen Peroxide
- Keep out of reach of children
- Avoid contact with eye and skin. Rinse eye immediately if product comes into contact.
- Wear suitable Gloves
- DO AN ALLERGY TEST 24 HOUR BEFORE TREATMENT (especially if you have a sensitive, itchy scalp)
- Do not use any hair bleaching product one week AFTER or BEFORE coloring your hair, straightening, or perming. Failure will cause severe damage to hair
FORGOT SOME ACCESSORIES TO DYE YOUR HAIR – BUY IT IN OUR SHOP NOW
Detailed Steps to Dye your Hair:
- Wash your hair THE NIGHT BEFORE COLORING with a non-conditioning shampoo (this will strip all the excessive oil from the hair).
- Do not use any CONDITIONING or other hair products (spray, gel, wax etc.)
- Get an old towel, a plastic or glass bowl (no metal), gloves, applicator comb, a stop watch
- Prepare your hair color mixing kit (gloves, blowl, comb …)
Put on plastic gloves to protect your hands
- Mix the developer (Hydrogen) with the color cream in a NON-METALLIC container (glass, plastic isallow), making sure that you have an exact ratio of 1:1
- Some brands do come with extra color booster sachets which also needs to be mixed with the color cream and developer
- Mix the color cream and developer until fully blended together
- Cover your neck with an old towel to avoid any spill onto the neck areas. Also, apply Vaseline to neck and ear to avoid staining of the skin.
- Section your hair into four equal parts
- Apply the mixture on dry, washed hair (see Preparation #1)
- Dye your hair one section at a time, making sure to run the tip of the applicator comb (or personal tool – not supplied) straight back (away from the crown of your head to the base of neck) through the portion of sectioned-off hair
- Don’t apply the hair color dye too close to the scalp while doing the rest of the hair
- Now, start to apply the color dye to the hair root areas closer to the scalp
- After the roots are fully covered in one section, move on to the next section.
- Repeat this process until your hair is completely saturated with color dye from roots to the hair tips
FOR FIRST TIME COLORING:
Apply the color cream mix to hair, leaving 1 inch from roots and leave it for 15-25 minutes. When processing time is over, apply mixed cream to the hair roots and leave it for 15-25 minutes.
- 6% Developer: leave for 30 minutes
- 9% and 12% Developer: leave for 15 – 25 minutes
FOR PREVIOUS COLORED HAIR WITH VIRGIN GROWTH OVER 1 INCH:
Apply mixed cream to hair, leaving 1 inch from roots and previously colored ends and leave for 20-30 minutes. When processing time is over, apply cream to rest of the hair ends and leave for 15-25 minutes. Repeat again and apply mixed cream to rest of the hair ends and leave for 10-15 minutes
FOR WHITE / GRAY HAIR THAT REQUIRES NATURAL COVERAGE:
Apply mixed cream from the roots until the ends of hair and leave for 20-40 minutes on.
FOR WHITE / GRAY HAIR THAT REQUIRES FASHIONABLE COVERAGE (Less than 50% White Hair):
Apply mixed cream to the roots and leave for 25 minutes. When processing time is over, apply mixed cream to rest of the hair ends and leave for 15-25 minutes. MIXING RATIO:1 PORTION OF NATURAL COLOR CREAM : 3 PORTIONS OF FASHIONABLE COLOR CREAM
FOR WHITE / GRAY HAIR THAT REQUIRED FASHIONABLE COVERAGE (Over 50% White Hair):
Apply mixed cream to the roots and leave for 25 minutes. When processing time is over, apply mixed cream to rest of the hair ends and leave for 15-25 minutes. MIXING RATIO:1 PORTION OF NATURAL COLOR CREAM : 1 PORTIONS OF FASHIONABLE COLOR CREAM
- Once the desired result is reached, rinse off with clear warm water
- Rinse off until water becomes clear
- DO NOT SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR AFTER RINSE OFF (Only apply conditioner or treatment).
- WAIT 72 HOURS TO SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR AGAIN
TIP: Use a color-safe shampoo (no Sulfate or Phosphate) to keep the color long term in your hair. The chemicals Sulfate and Phosphate are well known to attack hair color dye and let it fade or wash out
Avoid these common hair dye mistakes
When dying your hair, there are many things that you must take into consideration. Make sure to lay out all of your materials, including your hair dye in front of you either in the bathroom or in another area of your home that can easily be cleaned if necessary. The problem with most hair dye is that it stains very bad, so make sure you put a towel on your floor or something that you don’t mind getting dirty to keep everything nice and tidy.
The first step
Before you do anything else, do a hair dye strand test. This strand test is done by applying a bit of hair dye on only a small, back portion of your hair. Wait a full 24 hour period and make sure the hair dye color comes out the way that you envisioned it. If not, you will need to purchase a different type or color of hair dye. The strand test also helps with determining if you are allergic or sensitive to any chemicals in the hair dye. If any sensitivity happens or allergies occur, then toss the hair dye and purchase another formula.
The Second Step
The next step is to prep your hair for the hair dye. That means that you must wash and condition your hair so that it is clean and free of dirt and oils, but do it 24 hours before you actually dye your hair to ensure that the hair dye is able to soak into your strands. Brush your hair out thoroughly to make sure you have no tangles or knots in your hair. Make sure that your hair is completely dry and brushed out before you start applying the actual hair dye.
The Third Step
Once you have cleaned and brushed out your hair, then you need to prepare other aspects of the hair dye process. Firstly, apply petroleum jelly on all skin that will come into contact with the hair dye, and don’t forget your ears; this will ensure that you will easily be able to take off any hair dye from your skin. Make sure to cover your neck with a rag or piece of cloth and wear an old t-shirt or something that you don’t mind ruining. Put on your gloves and you are good to go!
The Fourth Step
This is the actual hair dying process, after you have mixed up your formula thoroughly; apply the hair dye to your hair. If you notice you have oils in your hair or some remnants of styling products, then wash your hair with a mild conditioning shampoo and repeat the steps above. When your hair is dry and ready, apply hair dye only on the areas that you want dyed, some people may want to just cover their grey hair and others want to color all of their hair. Just remember that every place that you apply hair dye will be dyed with color. And, don’t ever bleach and dye your hair on the same day. Wait a week before bleaching after you dye your hair.
The Fifth Step
Once you have waiting the allotted time period, now it is time to wash out your hair dye. Remember not to leave hair dye on for too long or you could damage your hair which could lead to breakage and dry scalp. Rinse out the hair through the water until it runs clear. It may take a few minutes for all the hair dye to wash out of your hair. Then apply a high quality conditioner to your hair. This will infuse your hair with moisture and help it to look shiny and sleek. DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR WITH SHAMPOO AT THIS POINT. Wait for 48-72 hours and remember NOT to wash your hair with hot water; freshly dyed hair is best when washed with cold water, so wash out your hair dye with the coldest water that you can handle. After shampooing and conditioning, gently dry your hair with an absorbent towel.
HELP: WHY IS MY HAIR NOT TAKING THE COLOR?
This scenario is widespread, and most people push the fault towards the product. However, if your hair does not take the color, it might be due to styling residues still inside your hair folic. Also, another reason might be that your hair is too damaged. Lastly, you might not have used enough color dye to cover the full hair. Please remember that thick or over-shouldered hair always requires two packages of hair dye.
Solution: Use a hair treatment for a more extended period to get the hair back in shape.
HAIR BLEACHING INSTRUCTIONS
One sachet is only good for normal hair. If you have thick or longer than shoulder hair TWO Sachets are required to cover the full hair
Get an old towel, a plastic or glass bowl (no metal), gloves, applicator comb, a stop watch and a scissor
- Put on Plastic Gloves
- Cut open the powder sachet with the scissor very carefully (hold away from face and avoid inhaling powder)
- Carefully pour the bleaching powder into the bowl
- Slowly add the developer (Hydrogen Peroxide) into the bowl
- You should use a ratio of 1:1 or 1:3 depending on the bleaching techniques chosen (e.g. 0.52oz of powder + 1.52oz developer)
- Mix with the applicator comb to fully combine the bleach powder and developer
- Cover your neck with the old towel to avoid any spill onto the neck area
- Apply the mixture on dry, unwashed hair.
- Begin at the back of your head, the sides and at last the top part of the hair
- Apply the bleach cream evenly
- Once finished, you would have to wait for the bleach to work
- Check result regularly
- Process according to the extent of bleaching wanted, but not longer than 50 minutes.
- Once the desired result is reached, rinse off with clear water
- Rinse off until water becomes clear
- Vola, done good job and congratulations to your new look
IF YOU HAVE DARK HAIR, YOU MIGHT NEED TO BLEACH YOUR HAIR TWO TIMES. WAIT FOR ONE WEEK FOR THE SECOND BLEACHING (Hair needs to relax)
SECRETS WE SHARE ONLY HERE
Subscribe to our newsletter today!