The Different Xuan Kong School explained?
Classical Feng Shui has two main schools, but the main focus Consultants concentrate about is the San Yuan Xuan Kong school . In sum, the teaching of Xuan Kong can be divided into four subcategories: The Xuan Kong Flying Stars, the 64 Hexagram (Da Gua), the Six Methods (Liu Fa), and the Date Selection (Ze Ri). Here is a quick summary of the three subcategories which is not cover here:
- 64 Hexagram (Da Gua): Specifically, it is used to predict the future and the destiny of a person.
- Six Methods (Liu Fa): It uses 6 different very complicated methods to determine a good energy flow. This study is highly advanced. The main idea is to have all windows and doors positions in perfect relationship with the furniture. As a consequence, major construction work needs to be done to reposition the doors and windows.
- Date Selection (Ze Ri): Ze Ri is used by Practitioner to select auspicious dates for special events. To choose a good day with positive energy for a wedding or giving birth can change one’s life destiny. For example, a wedding on special dates can bring never-ending love and harmony into the couple’s future.
Understand the Basics of Flying Star (Xuan Kong)
In Flying Star, there are nine different kind of Stars. As the Ying Yang concept is also applied, half of the stars are auspicious, the other half is inauspicious. These energy stars do fly into your home’s section to have a either a positive or negative affect on your daily life.
For example, the energy effects harmony, emotions, money affairs, relationship, and health of all residents. In our solar system, we do have nine astrological stars which create certain kind of Qi Energie on our planet. These nine Flying stars as we know them to interact and influence life on earth (animals, humans…). The main focus in Feng Shui is to balance the flow of Qi. In Flying Star, to analyze the energies fields are a must. The goal is to neutralize bad and to enhance the favorable energies for your benefit.
Also Interesting: The Meaning of Qi Energy
History of the Early Heaven Bagua Map (He-Tu)
The book of changes (I-Chang) tells us of how the evolution process of the first River Diagram or Early Heaven (Hetu) and the second one “Later Heaven Diagram (Luo)” had taken place.
In the time when Emperor Fuxi around 2800 BC was in power it was said that a mystical creature which looks like a horse/dragon came out of the Yellow River. On the creatures back a map with hollow and solid dots was presented to the emperor. He was very excited about the discovery and had let his top scholars to study the map. The translation of He-Tu literally means: The River Diagram. Astonishing results were discovered and the Yellow River Map or He-Tu was born.
As can be seen there are two kinds of dots in the Diagram. One is hollow as the other one is solid. In addition, both are be found in combination together with each other. Also, it can be noticed that all the solid dots are even numbers on the bottom as the hollow ones are uneven numbers on top. The scholars even went further and compared the entire landscape of China with the dot-map.
Surprisingly, stunning discoveries had been made and the 5-Element Theory was born:
- South: In China, it was always warmer in this region as in others. Therefore, it was concluded this section must the FIRE-ELEMENT
- North: As North is located on the opposite side of the compass as South and energy always flows from top to bottom like a river, this sections became the WATER-ELEMENT
- West: The Western region of China is occupied by a lot of mountain ranges. The scholars noticed that all the precious metals (gold, iron, stones) were coming from here. IT was concluded that the west sector is the METAL-ELEMENT
- East: The East side of China was occupied by lush forest and all the farming activities came from here. Therefore, it was determined that this region is the WOOD-ELEMENT
- Center: The Center region of China was settled as the EARTH-ELEMENT
Finally, the Ta-Ji Model of the Yin-Yang Principle was also adopted into this model. All uneven numbers are Yang based and considered to be Heaven (Top) and the even numbers are Yin based which is the Earth. With some complicated mathematical formulas the Emperor Fu-Xi transformed the dots into solid and broken line formations. These line formations reflect the 6 different kinds of Yin/Yang:
- 100% Ying in its form
- All Yang in its form
- More Yin is the extreme non-active form of Yin
- Minor Yang is the less active form of Yin
- Minor Yin is the less not active form of Yang
- More Yang is the extreme active form of Yang
Learn More: Understand the Concept of Yin Yang
A further look into the Principles of Yin/Yang needs to be taken to have a full understanding of the different line formation. The South (Top) is all Yang based as it all three lines are solid. Fire, the sun, and strength are common characteristic to be considered 100% Yang. On the other hand, the three broken lines represent all Yin and are located on the bottom (North) of the Trigram. All other compass directions are a mix of both.
Is the Early Heaven Trigram still be used today?
The application of the Trigram is very sporadically used in today’s time. Only Yin Feng Shui Masters for the death do use the Early Heaven Trigram in China. It does give a good indication for the best grave yard’s location.
In time, the modern Feng Shui Audits uses only the Later Heaven Trigram or Luo Shu Square (Bagua Map). In one occasion, the Early Heaven Trigram is used in the Bagua Mirror as it reflects the Heaven Sequence. It provides protection against evil spirits or Sha-Qi Energy that might want to enter your home.
The Later Heaven Bagua Map (Luo Shu)
After the horse like creature appeared, a second mystical creature which looked like a turtle appeared at the same river bank. Once again, the scholars of King Wen used the dot structure from the turtle to create a new Bagua Map, the so called Later Heaven Diagram or Luo Shu Magic Square.
This is the same map that we still use today which represents the Earthly Model. We humans can make easy use of this Diagram to tell which sections of the home are positive and which have negative energies. In summary, take a peak of what the nine flying star represent:
- #1 Star: (Kan, White, N): Water
- #2 Star: (Kun, Black, SW): Earth
- #3 Star: (Zhen, Green, E): Wood
- #4 Star: (Zun, Green, SE): Wood
- #5Star: (Yellow) / Center: Earth
- #6 Star: Qian, White, NW): Metal
- #7Star: Dui, Red, W): Metal
- #8 Star: Gen, White,NE): Earth
- #9 Star: Li, Purple, S): Fire
The Flying Star Energy Periods:
Permanent Energy (20 year cycle)
Chinese Astrologer discovered that every 180 years all the planets in our universe face a straight line. As we have
As a result, the energy qualities of the stars do change as well. The Base numbers (Star# 1-9) on the energy chart are shown as a single digit number. The Energy Chart shown below is a Period 8 home and Base number 8 is displayed in the center. The other stars will fly in a strict order into the other sectors so it can create the whole star configuration.
- 1. Period 1864 – 1883 (Upper Yuan Cycle)
- 2. Period 1884 – 1903 (Upper Yuan Cycle)
- 3. Period 1904 – 1923 (Upper Yuan Cycle)
- 4. Period 1924 – 1943 (Middle Yuan Cycle)
- 5. Period 1944 – 1963 (Middle Yuan Cycle)
- 6. Period 1964 – 1983 (Middle Yuan Cycle)
- 7. Period 1984 – 2003 (Lower Yuan Cycle)
- 8. Period 2004 – 2023 (Lower Yuan Cycle)
- 9. Period 2024 – 2043 (Lower Yuan Cycle)
- End of the 180-year cycle: New 1. The period starts at 2044 – 2063
Don’t know what Flying Star is? Learn the Basics of Flying Star
Yearly Energy (1 year cycle)
Firstly, as the Energy is changing every year, proper enhancements and cures need to be placed. For sure, the energy is fast moving and the effects are felt quite quick.
Monthly Energy (1 month cycle)
Next, in addition to the yearly changes, many Feng Shui enthusiasts keep a close eye on the monthly energy as well. Hence, proper Feng Shui placements are needed every month. Last, many Feng Shui practitioners are not too concerned about the daily movements. Indeed, it would be too time-consuming to follow these energy shifts.
Explanation of the Classical Bagua Map (Energy Star Chart)
Basically, the upper two numbers are reflecting the actual energy in this section. The left number is called the Sitting (Mountain) Star, compared to the right number which is called the Facing (Water) Star. The Sitting Star particularly deals with the health and well-being of the house residence. On the other hand, the Facing Star reflects the wealth and money matters of the residence.
To illustrate further the Water Star is Yang based as the Mountain Star is Ying based. The nine stars collaborate with each other to form a total of 81 Star combinations. Above the 5/2 Star combination can be detected. Unquestionably, you do not want it in one of your main home sectors. As you already know, all the stars do have a different kind of Qi (Shi) energies.
Study More Here: The Feng Shui Bagua Map and how to use it
We can say the following:
- The main star for Wealth to be concerned is the Facing or Water Star. Whereas, the Mountain Star is the visitor. This also counts for all the yearly and monthly stars. They come and go. Surely, determine the Energy of the Facing Star by the 5 Element Theory. Does your sector enhance, neutralize, or control the star element?
- Star energy can also be influenced by outdoor structures. Keep an eye on this, too. The same can be said for interior structures.
- The main star for Health and Relationship is the Mountain or Water Star. The Sitting Star is the visitor.
- Sometimes the stars only interfere with the main or visitor star, but a lot of times the star combination can have an effect on both: Wealth & Health.
- The Base Number (Single Digit) determines the flying star structure of the energy map.
In order to analyze the whole energy map, you need to have advanced study skills to fully understand the whole picture. If you are curious about how to apply the Bagua Map the correct way, read more here.
Star Qualities & Explanation
Each Flying Star has its own unique qualities depending on certain factors. If two stars combine the effect can change. Also, different energy can occur due to time and landscape factors.
#1 White Star (Tan Lang Ying – Greedy Wolf)
- Summary: The White Star is mostly timely and considered auspicious to bring good luck
- Element: Water
- Sky Direction: North
- Qualities when Timely: Stands for job-related luck, successful study, Able to make new connections in business or private, increases good reputation in society
- Qualities when Untimely: Stress & Emotional Turmoil
- Facing Star Position: It benefits matters in business and career
- Sitting Star Position: Making new connections or making new friendships
- Affected Body Part: Kidney, Bladder System
- Associated Family Member: Middle Son (
#2 Black Star (Ju Men Xing) – Illness
- Summary: This is quite a bad star that brings illness, disaster, accidents
- Element: Earth
- Sky Direction: Southwest
- Qualities when Timely: The Star brings great financial wealth and favors land/property related benefits
- Qualities when Untimely: This star created all kind of trouble starting from accidents, serious illnesses of all kinds, and overall bad luck.
- Facing Star Position: Bad Health
- Sitting Star Position: Financial problems such as bankruptcy or major loss of income
- Affected Body Part: Digestive System (Stomach, Colon)
- Associated Family Member: Mother or older female (grandmother)
#3 Jade Star (Lu Chun Xing) Conflict
- Summary: Causes conflict and misunderstanding especially in Period 8 and Period 9.
- Element: Wood
- Sky Direction: East
- Qualities when Timely: Benefit person who likes to be famous (Actor, Singer)
- Qualities when Untimely: Increase misunderstanding and arguments in private and work. May cause legal conflict.
- Facing Star Position: Constant argument with a partner
- Sitting Star Position: Law Suit may be filed against you or problems with colleagues and boss
- Affected Body Part: Liver, Feet, Arms
- Associated Family Member: Oldest Son (married)
#4 Green Star (Xun Gua) – Academic Star
- Summary: This Star brings great success for students or scientist who do research.
- Element: Wood
- Sky Direction: Southeast
- Qualities when Timely: Students can study well with good grades. For scientist new discovery can be seen.
- Qualities when Untimely: Illness such as Breast Cancer, Adultery, Drug addiction
- Facing Star Position: Romance and love
- Sitting Star Position: Good Reputation at Work
- Affected Body Part: Chest, Breast, and Gallbladder
- Associated Family Member: Oldest Daughter (married)
#5 Yellow Star (Lian Zhen) – Misfortune
The worst combination of all is when Star #5 teams up with Star #2 or Star #9. These Energies causes trouble all the time. Therefore, special care needs to be taken to neutralize its effects.
- Summary: By far the worst negative star which causes worst luck and even death. It is only timely in period 5. In all other periods, it is extremely dangerous and negative.
- Element: Earth
- Sky Direction: Center
- Qualities when Timely: Great success of everything that is done, Increase of wealth
- Qualities when Untimely: Overall negative in all aspects of life
- Facing Star Position: Death, serious health issues, divorce
- Sitting Star Position: Bankruptcy, Lawsuit with jail time
- Affected Body Part: not related to any body part
- Associated Family Member: Entire Household is affected
#6 White Star (Wu Qu Xing) – Luck from Heaven
- Summary: The Star is auspicious in nature and guardians the reputation and power status in society
- Element: Metal
- Sky Direction: Northwest
- Qualities when Timely: Great Power, People looking up to you
- Qualities when Untimely: Loneliness and extreme selfish behavior to others
- Facing Star Position: Family shows great respect towards you
- Sitting Star Position: Promotion to become Manager or CEO, smooth work environment
- Affected Body Part: Lungs, Bones
- Associated Family Member: Father or Grandfather
#7 Red Star (Po Jun Xing) – Violence
- Summary: Pretty inauspicious most of the times. Brings violence such as robbery or fire hazard into the house
- Element: Metal
- Sky Direction: West
- Qualities when Timely: Spiritual Guidance to become one, wealth, and worry-free life
- Qualities when Untimely:
- Facing Star Position: Possible Home Invasion, Theft, Accident
- Sitting Star Position: Brings financial problems with it, lawsuits, gossip behind your back
- Affected Body Part: Mouth and Head
- Associated Family Member: Younger Daughter (unmarried)
#8 White Star (Zuo Fu Bi) – Wealth & Prosperity
- Summary: This Star is extremely timely in Period, 8,9, and 1. It brings great prosperity from all different kind of sources (job, business, investment)
- Element: Earth
- Sky Direction: Northeast
- Qualities when Timely: Extreme prosperity, wealth, and good health
- Qualities when Untimely: Health issue to finger, back pain, and toes
- Facing Star Position: Great Relationship success with partner
- Sitting Star Position: Increase of Wealth and money, stable job
- Affected Body Part: Finger, Back, Toes
- Associated Family Member: Younger Son (unmarried)
#9 Star (You Bi Xing) – Future Prosperity
- Summary: Extremely positive in Period 8 and 9. Brings good relationship luck and wealth.
- Element: Fire
- Sky Direction: South
- Qualities when Timely: Promotion in
job, good sales, overall great finances
- Qualities when Untimely: Blood Cancer, Eye problems, and cardiac issues
- Facing Star Position: Soul-Mate Relationship, Marriage
- Sitting Star Position: Promotion at work or higher sales in business
- Affected Body Part: Heart, Blood, Eye
- Associated Family Member: Middle Daughter (unmarried)
The Different Stages of the Star Qualities
Master Xuan Kong discovered that all the Qi energies are going thru different stages over time. Firstly, The Prosperous Stage is the most beneficial one which brings great fortune and luck. Secondly, the lucky period is over and the energy is slowly getting less auspicious. Thirdly, the Dead Stage is where the energy is static or neutral in nature. Next, the Killer Stage is by far the evilest period. Here the energy is extremely negative and dangerous. Last, the Growing Stage is where the energy increases in strength. It is being said that this is the Future Lucky Star.
Of cause, this is just scratches the basic surface of the whole Flying Star Study. We hope you got a hint of what the concept is about.